The Sculpture Park was created on the site of the former old cemetery.
In 1975 Klaipėda executive committee decided to establish a Sculpture Park on the cemetery site.The gravestones, fences were removed and some of them are now on display in the Blacksmith‘s Museum.
From 1977 to 1991 the symposiums of sculptorsin Smiltynė were arranged. The sculptures created during these symposiums were placed in the Sculpture Park. Currently this 10-hectare park contains 117 varied works of art by 61 sculptors.
In 2004 the monument in honour of Klaipėda patronJ. L. Wiener (1795–1862) was restored. J. L. Wiener was a German Jewish trader. He is a historical and prominent personality of Klaipėda region, great philanthropist who his whole life paid a lot of attention and sacrifice to the community of Klaipėda city.
On the eastern part of the park stands the monument to volunteers perished in fights for Klaipėda annexation to Lithuania in 1923. It was built in 1925according to the project of well known Klaipėdaartist andpublic man Ad. Brakas. For the monument᾿s erection was used the granitic Prussia-Russiaborderline column.
On the northern part of the park near S. Daukantas street stands the monument to Soviet soldiers who fell in World War II.
New ideas for the Sculpture Park in Klaipėda
Since 2006 The History Museum of Lithuania Minor was charged to take care of The Sculpture Park.
The musem is looking for new educational forms in the Sculpture Park and new ideas, how to join together the history of Old Town cemetery, the sculpture art and the memorials in the park.
It would be interesting to realize common projects between similar parks in other Europe cities, to compare ideas/opinions about educational activities and new views, to organize conferences with sculptors and art‘s critics about the sculpture art in Lithuania and other countries, etc.
The comunication changes the attitude:
The History Museum of Lithuania Minor
Assistant Director for Sculpture Park