Didžioji Vandens str. 2, 91246 Klaipėda
Tel. (+370 46) 41 05 27, +370 601 01 082
II–VI: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm (tickets sold till 5:30 pm)
Closed on state holidays
Guided tour hours
II–IV: 10.00 am – 5:00 pm
V: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
tel. (+370 46) 41 05 27, +370 601 01 082
The History Museum of Lithuania Minor is located in one of the oldest Baroque style buildings of Klaipėda built in 1774. The building comprising also a well-kept vineyard, belonged to the post office director Johann Christian Witte.
The museum displays are rich variety of information and stories about the region’s prehistoric period, the life and burial practices of the Baltic tribes, Curonian and Skalvian, the conquests by the Teutonic Order and the history of their state, as well as the origins of printed books and periodicals in Lithuanian, one of the oldest languages in the world. The developments during the first half of the 20th century are also shown and no less exciting. The traditional culture of the Klaipėda Region Lithuanians, or Lietuvininkai, has been given a special place among the museum’s exhibits.